Thursday 17 March 2016

EVALUATION ACTIVITY - 4 (Giordano)

Who would be the audience for your media product?

I believe that out thriller opening sequence would appeal more to the younger demographic (15-25), than the older. Due to my previous research on film ratings, it is shown that a majority of thriller movies tend to be 15 rated, and young adults still tend to enjoy viewing them.


Looking at the table above, it is clear that the ratio of male to female is equal, 7 being male and 8 being female. Due to this I believe that our opening would appeal to both the male and female's younger demographic. 

Looking at my research,  I found out in my questionnaire that the thriller genre was popular and the majority of people were around the age of 15-20.  Furthermore to make the  thriller more realistic for example the use of the dead body and props are used to  convey the  thriller conventions, therefore we knew that we could not target the younger demographic. 

Questionnaire (audience research):



My group and I also thought that we should target this opening primarily towards males, as we have an all male cast. My focus group and interviews also pointed us in this direction. Looking at my questionnaire more males than females watch thriller movies, however there were more females then we originally anticipated. 

Interview with target audience (male)
                                                                         
yellow = male   blue =female


However, although I believe our opening will be appealing to older teenagers/Younger adults, I do not think it will be suitable for very young viewers (small children). This is because thriller movies tend to contain:
  • Violent and disturbing scenes
  • Tense scenes 
  • Loud build up of music
  • Shock scenes that make the audience jump
  • The story line may be too advanced to understand
  • Low key lighting can be scary to younger children 
  • Protagonist may scare a younger viewer (especially in our case)
Similarly, I do not think that our thriller opening would suit the older demographic. This is seen in my table above, only 2 people were over the age of 25. I believe the following conventions may not be appealing to them:
  • Violent and disturbing scenes  
  • Loud build up of music 
  • Some thrillers do tend to be very fast paced 
  • Shock scenes that make the audience jump
Taking all of this research into consideration I believe  (along with my group) that our thriller movie should be rated a 15, this is also made visible from my table above. A majority of people were 15/16 years old. Finally, our thriller movie also fits into the category of a 15 rated film (Shown below). My certificate research also helped me and my group to make this decision. 





Examples of our target audience 

Below are examples of what my target audience would typically be like, and the different characteristics of males and females. 












No comments:

Post a Comment