Thursday 17 March 2016

EVALUATION ACTIVITY - 5 (Giordano)

How did you attract/address your audience?

Real movie's will attract their audience via public advertisement, for example, trailers, merchandise and posters. Films with larger budgets usually spend a high amount of money on the distribution of their product. In my opinion I believe posters are the most effective as they positioned in places that are seen by almost anyone: buildings, train stations and the side of buses. Taking this into consideration, below are two movie poster's I have created for my marketing campaign.

Shown above are my two thriller posters that I have made. I decided to do some research into real movie posters and took ideas from the ones which interested me the most, and included them in my designs. I believe that both posters look professional, and if it were to be released as a full feature film the advertisement posters would look similar to the two I have created. 





Poster 2

  • The entirety of the poster is dark/black. The dark colours had connotations with death and mystery typical of the thriller genre. 
  • The close up of the knife also adds mystery and tension to the poster, as we as the viewers do not know what this person is capable of doing with that knife. 
  • The only light part of the shot is on the knife itself. This put a lot of attention on the knife and prioritises it.
  • The caption 'expect the unexpected' captures attention of the viewers. 
  • The font in which the title is written in provides a sinister feel. It looks as though it has been written in blood and has a smeared affect, i have seen many other thriller posters use a similar font. 
  • The character is not shown in the poster only his hand holding a knife. This adds further tension. 

When movies are distributed, they tend to have a number of different posters but the best one is usually the one the public see the most. Therefore I have decided to choose between the two posters. I think that my first poster would work best for the advertisement of our thriller. I say this because it follows more of the thriller conventions and i think it is more realistic and visually appealing. 

I believe that the advertising process (distribution) is essential in helping the word spread about films. This is because: It sykes them up to see the movie, catches public attention, helps to spread word of mouth and can result in people looking further into the film for example watching the trailer.   


Real movie posters that inspired my designs




They typical conventions of a thriller:
  • Low key lighting 
  • Quick cuts
  • Shadows 
  • Tense music
  • Changes in angle of shots 
  • Diegetic sound 
  • Protagonist and antagonist
The thriller genre has many conventions (shown above) and it would have been extremely difficult to include all of the above in the 2 minute time slot in which we were given to produce our thriller opening sequence. However our time slot was useful as it allowed us not to give to much away and
leave our thriller on a cliffhanger. 
                             

No comments:

Post a Comment