Saturday 12 March 2016

Exploring Soundtracks - Giordano

I gathered 3 people who are regular cinema goers and thriller watchers. I played them three possible soundtrack we could use in our opening, this was their responses...

Person 1 (Alex, 15)

What was your favorite and why?

My favorite was soundtrack number one. It is very weird and also does not create much tension it would contrast your opening which would work well.

Which was your least favorite and why?

My least favorite was soundtrack two, Although it built tension it was very quite and created the wrong sort of tension. What i mean by that is i think it will suit a more action movie rather than a thriller. In my opinion it will not suit a thriller opening.

Do you think I should enhance the sound track audio?  

No, in most thriller movies soundtracks are kept very quiet and in the background. They should only be used to add or build tension, increasing the volume will remove the attention from the images on screen to the soundtrack alone.



Person 2 (Andrea, 16)

What was your favorite and why?

My favorite soundtrack was number three. I enjoyed it because it creates and eerie feel and would also suit a thriller opening.

Which was your least favorite and why?

My least favorite was soundtrack one. I did not like it as I think recently it has been overused, for example insidious. I also think that as it is a song with lyrics the audience may be more focused on the soundtrack the the opening, especially if you are planning to have no audio in your thriller opening.

Do you think I should enhance the sound track audio? 

No I don't, I think that less is more in films. Films that enhance audio of soundtracks can sound fake and unrealistic. However if you are enhancing sound of individual things in the opening, e.g a character dropping a glass, that can really sound good and can make the audience jump.



Person 3 (Issie, 17)

What was your favorite and why?

My favorite soundtrack was number three. I think it was the best out of the three because it created the most suspense and the dark score of the piano really emphasised the suspense.

Which was your least favorite and why?

My least favorite was soundtrack number two. In my opinion it created the wrong type of suspense and I could see it more to be used in a action genre film rather than a thriller. I also felt that it was very repetitive and boring, and if I were to hear this in a thriller opening it would not keep me on my toes.

Do you think I should enhance the sound track audio?

I do not think you should. If the soundtrack is too loud it will take the overall focus off of the thriller opening itself and put all focus on the soundtrack, which will not make a successful thriller opening in my opinion.


Overall, I can see that soundtrack three is preferred by our target audience. After speaking to the other groups members we have decided to listen to our target audience and we will use soundtrack three in our opening thriller sequence.









 







No comments:

Post a Comment